[josm-dev] Fwd: Filter Google from Imagery?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jan 27 11:20:20 GMT 2011

Hi,

On 01/27/11 10:53, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> I'd just show a visible warning instead of having JOSM completely
> refuse.

Given what Richard said - that there will be people who don't give a
shit for such a warning and will trace from Google nonetheless; people
who will write diary entries and forum articles about how they traced
from Google and how easy it is to set up JOSM to do it, etc. - do you
really think this is enough?

"You knew that people were using JOSM to trace from Google!"

"Yes but we made sure they had to read a warning telling them it was not
allowed."

"But you knew these people would ignore the warning."

"Yeah, not our problem."

I'm not sure. I think we ought to do more than just warn. It is true
that there may be legitimate reasons for using Google tiles (e.g. we're
seeing the first users of JOSM for non-OSM-related uses and as a poor
man's GIS tool - which is problematic in itself because Bing tracing is
only allowed if the results are intended for OSM and not for someone
else...). But these are extremely niche - one could compile a special
JOSM version that supports Google but doesn't have any OSM up/download.

I find Martin's idea not bad (allow people to display Google tiles but
disable editing) but it's a little more work than I'm prepared to invest
right now.

Bye
Frederik