[josm-dev] License change plugin

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Jul 2 15:12:47 BST 2011

Hi,

Stephan Knauss wrote:
> is it really ready for the public?

I assumed that since nobody complained, it would be ;)

> I noticed a small problem in usability. If you select an element (I
> tried a node) an press the license check button nothing happens. You
> have to deselect the element to have the license status listed.

I'll have a look at that. I assumed it was the normal behaviour of the
validator as well but now I see that the validator does it differently.

> The tool is doing background data requests. It should provide some
> feedback to the user regarding this.

It shouldn't be doing background data requests, only send a request when
you explicitly ask for it.

> The doCheck() in BasicLicenseCheck is in my opinion not right regarding
> nodes that have no tags. As all information these nodes carry is their
> existence and coordinates I see no reason why any other status than the
> one of the last editor of that node could be relevant.

I don't think this is something for the plugin to decide.

> A change in the coordinate could be expressed as a deletion and
> recreation at a new position. The copyright (in case there exists one on
> node level) would be solely on the last editor.

Any change of an object could be expressed as a deletion and recreation
but that doesn't mean that the recreation has happened without looking
at the old object. (For example, I could make a roundabout "rounder"
without actually adding any data of my own.)

> I have changed the check to do this. I would like to discuss it before
> submitting my changes. Actually the doCheck() might need some more
> improvements.

I'm happy for anyone to make improvements, but please don't add your
personal interpretation of the licensing situation. If you can get
OSMF/LWG to say clearly that they will not remove a node that has been
created by someone who says no to ODbL and moved by someone else later,
then ok; but as long as such a statement does not exists, we must assume
that the node is going to be deleted.

Bye
Frederik