[josm-dev] addr mask / last tag takeover / dysfunctional when building=yes on way

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jul 7 18:47:20 BST 2011

Hi,

Dirk Stöcker wrote:
> Release 4064 is used by approx 65% of people for about 2 months now and
> you are the first complaining about this issue, so it can't be that
> important.

As the person who originally introduced the "use_last_as_default"
functionality to JOSM I feel that I must side with Florian here. That
functionality was introduced precisely for addresses - at the time we
thought it would be putting people off if they had to make extra moves
to use the same post code or street setting for a number of addresses in
a row.

At the time, buildings were very unusual to have so we didn't spend a
minute thinking about it, but if buildings *had* been as common as they
are now, and had been a prime target for using the address preset, we
*certainly* would have made it so that it would be exempt from the
"don't apply to tagged objects" rule - the whole purpose was to make it
as easy as possible to record addresses, not to achieve clarity in the
code or whatever ;)

I still think that "don't apply to tagged objects" is a good rule
generally, and if there were cases where it accidentally not applied
that it is good that the bug was fixed, but we'll probably have to find
a way to make exceptions for certain presets lest they fail to do what
they are intended for - make the mapper's life easier!

Bye
Frederik