[josm-dev] validator question, multipolygons

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Fri Mar 4 19:43:02 GMT 2011

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, Frederik Ramm wrote:

>>  recently I started to use multipolygons to save ways. For instance I
>>  draw a closed way and tag it with barrier=fence. Then I make a
>>  multipolygon-relation where I add the way as outer and assign a
>>  landuse. The Josm-Validator gives me a strange warning about this:
>>  "Style for outer way mismatches". What does this mean?
>
> It means that the validator is *much* too over-eager and needs to be toned
> down. I have seen people break their perfect mapping because of it.

Frederik. Most of the time you have valuable comments and ideas, but a
comment like this is a hit in my face which I don't like.

This warning has sense and I would suggest to have a look into the code
before issuing such nonsense.

Maybe the code has bugs, but simply saying that I made a lot of crap is
not the way to go. And yes I take that one a bit personal, as it is
basically my code.

Validator has been tuned a lot in the last months to reach a proper balance
between warnings and useful output. All your posts in the last weeks show
that you don't follow the JOSM develop close enough to have a good
judgment on these issues. So before blaming all and everything start to
get more in touch with the recent code base and when necessary file bug
reports where fine tuning is needed.