[josm-dev] validator question, multipolygons

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Mar 5 21:16:31 GMT 2011

Hi,

Dirk Stöcker wrote:
> If I judge this issue based on the ticket reports we get, than we have
> only minor problems with this. And half of the reports ask to add
> additional checks and not to remove some.

That's because you have created a perfect user nannying environment and
people react to that. It's an interesting challenge. Once you see that
the validator will complain about certain things in a multipolygon
relation but not about others, you immediately think: "Oh well it should
actually also complain about this, and that. And if someone does that
together with that we should warn them too. And..."

I'm 100% sure that the people who ask for more checks are *not* those
who say: This error always happens to me and I'd really be happy if the
editor could tell me. These are the people who say "I really think the
others should be told to map like I do."

> So a note to these of you trying to convince me that we have a major
> problem with validator: This opinion does not match the statistical data
> that we have. Especially as validator had >80% installation count even
> before it moved into core.

I'm not sure these statistics can be applied the way you apply them. How
did you measure installation count? How many of those were
auto-installed through the Windows installer which AFAIK bundled the
validator with JOSM? At that time, was the validator already set to
validate before uploading by default? How has the number and extend of
checks be changed between then and now? Etc.

Bye
Frederik