[josm-dev] Summer of Code 2011 Ideas

Sebastian Klein bastikln at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 10 20:55:38 GMT 2011

Ian Dees wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> As admin for OSM's application to Google's Summer of Code this year, I'd
> like to remind everyone that we're looking for some project ideas for
> students to work on here on the wiki page:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GSoC_Project_Ideas_2011. The application
> deadline is roughly 24 hours away and we only have 2 ideas listed so far.
>
> All OSM-related projects are welcome to add project ideas. Any editors,
> tools, or libraries related to OSM should feel free to throw their ideas on
> this page so we can have a well-rounded list. Google uses this ideas page as
> part of the application process, so we should show them the diverse set of
> ideas our community has.
>
> Please feel free to pass this on to other mailing lists!

Anything wrong with copying the "Improved conflict resolution in JOSM" idea from last year? There wasn't much development in that area, so this would still be a nice project.

Other stuff I can think of at the moment:

 * Work on gwtosm project, i.e. create a usable javascript editor based on the josm sources.

 * Continue signfinder [1] GSoC project from 2009, i.e. create a JOSM plugin that reads street names off photos

 * Create a scripting API for JOSM. The plugin by Karl already provides the infrastructure, so this project could focus on design and implementation of a easy to use and robust interface.

[1] <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automatic_Street-Sign_Detection_and_Reading>

Sebastian