[josm-dev] Dynamic buttons in side menus

Ole Jørgen Brønner olejorgenb at yahoo.no
Sat Oct 15 22:39:07 BST 2011

I agree that running out of vertical space is a problem, but the dynamic button approach isn't quite ready IMO. The main problem is when you need to use the last item in a sidemenu.

Say I want to edit the last tag. To do this I need to move the mouse over sidemenu. The buttons appear, obscuring the item I was aiming for, forcing me to move the mouse up bit and scroll down before I finally get to the tag. This is beyond annoying :)

Besides this (fatal IMO) flaw I think the approach works well. I'm not sure how it can be fixed properly though. Scrolling the list down automatically when the mouse enters in the lower region isn't really a solution. Showing the buttons in front of the sidemenu header is problematic too.

I think the best solution for me would be:
- Make per item functionality available in context menus (right-click)
- Add a per-dialog option to hide/show/(dynamic) the buttons

Personally, I feel the headers waste space and could be removed too, but this is obviously extreme.

Allocating space dynamically could help. (eg. a selected way has many tags -> shrink selection sidemenu)

Best regards
Ole Jørgen Brønner (olejorgenb)