[josm-dev] Dynamic buttons in side menus

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Sun Oct 16 12:53:51 BST 2011

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011, Paul Hartmann wrote:

> Still, there is a serious flaw in the design: The visible space shrinks,
> as soon as you hover above the dialogue. This is very irritating when
> you don't intend to use the buttons, but try to interact with the list
> entries directly.

Yes. A solution to this would be to create the buttons below the entry
when possible. But this has other issues as well. Or to temporary enlarge
the choosen box, so that the contents stays at same position. Both
solutions are much more complex to program and probably not really an
improvement.

But I'm sure we'll find ways to improve this new design and smooth the
sharp edges.

> One possible solution would be to get rid of the buttons completely.
> E.g. tag editing could be like in the relation editor (and Potlatch 2's
> advanced tagging mode).

Actually I don't think thats a good idea. While this may be good for
experienced users, a novice probably needs ages to find such a hidden
functionality.