[josm-dev] Plugin for Karlsruhe schema

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Tue Oct 25 22:05:54 BST 2011

Pieren writes:
 > I don't think it is a good idea. As the relation is called, all
 > addresses between start and end are just ... interpolation.

We've had this discussion before. Here in my part of the USA, street
addresses were renumbered for the convenience of the fire, police, and
rescue squads. Cuz, well, everybody wants them to be able to find your
house. They were renumbered according to the linear distance down your
road. So ... if you know an address at the beginning of the road, and
at the end of the road, you know the addresses of all the houses using
linear interpolation. If you doubt me, feel free to test this theory
on Pleasant Valley Road, Potsdam NY. I've entered addresses by hand
AND added addresses via an import of cadastral data. Those line up
very well, and I predict that if you try linearly interpolating,
you'll get the same results. But don't trust my prediction ... try it
for yourself. If I'm wrong, then you can prove it to me!

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog