[josm-dev] Shortcuts

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Fri Feb 17 16:39:50 GMT 2012

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012, Paul Hartmann wrote:

>> - let plugins ask the user if he wants to keep the current shortcuts
>> or use the old ones in case of conflicts.
>
> Depends on the implementation, but this could work. It should only ask
> when shortcuts are affected that actually have been used at least once.
> Still, someone has to code it.

As said already. It is reversed. The question is not "Do you want to keep
it". The default should be not to keep outdated configuration. For
cadastre-fr I moved F11 to F10 and added a "This changed, you can change
it to back to F11 if you really want" dialog telling the user about it.

The default action should not be to have users use an outdated
configuration. So the user really needs to get active. A dialog telling
facts and a chance to revert these facts in preferences is a good method.
A "JOSM developers made a decision, but we plugin developers don't like
it, you should revert it, do you want?" is not the correct way.

When cadastre-fr would not have done the second, then this issue could
already have been solved a long time ago.

Asking to add core support for the wrong approach is strange.