[josm-dev] Shortcuts

Paul Hartmann phaaurlt at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 18 10:24:09 GMT 2012

On 02/18/2012 10:19 AM, Dirk Stöcker wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Feb 2012, Ian Dees wrote:
>
>> I agree that JOSM core should get preference for plugin conflicts, but I
>> think that if a user has explicitly set a key binding by unchecking the
>> "Use Default" option, nothing but the user should change that key
>> binding.
>> For example, I explicitly set "W" to "Draw Buildings" (unchecking "Use
>> Default" in the process) and when I just downloaded a new JOSM JAR and
>> ran
>> it, the plugin keybinding switched back to Ctrl+Shift+W.
>
> During the update process old preferences are lost, as Shortcut system
> changes a lot. I may add a portability fix before next tested, but I
> doubt it is worth the effort. You may need to reapply your own bindings
> after this transition period.
>
> Temporary downgrading josm should get your old bindings back. Reapplying
> them now may cause a loss soon again, as new design is not yet final.
>
>> If a user has gone to the trouble of explicitly setting up their key
>> bindings, nothing should override it.
>
> Agreed, but this is still voluntary OpenSource and for a developer it is
> much easier to update when he simply can drop old stuff. ;-) For
> self-assigned shortcuts I assumed, that the number of affected users
> will be very small and thus I made no compatibility transition
> (especially as anyway a lot of trouble will come, so a little more
> trouble wont be noticed :-)

Wow, there are a lot of changes [1]. It's great we finally got rid of
these strange groups and use shift, ctrl & alt directly. In the
preferences there is a tab "read first". I think this tab can be moved
to the help pages - it's nothing you absolutely must need to know and
could not have guessed.

[1]
<http://josm.openstreetmap.de/changeset?reponame=josm&new=4979%40trunk%2Fsrc%2Forg%2Fopenstreetmap%2Fjosm%2Ftools%2FShortcut.java&old=4595%40trunk%2Fsrc%2Forg%2Fopenstreetmap%2Fjosm%2Ftools%2FShortcut.java>

Paul