[josm-dev] first impressions

Jiri Klement jiri.klement at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 17:36:39 GMT 2012

Hi,

I have hudson running at my laptop that builds josm and plugins and
also checks for changes in josm that breaks backward compatibility
with plugins. Problem is that it's broken all the time (either
compilation error in plugins or some change in josm that breaks some
plugins) so I basically gave up and rarely fix found errors.

Maven vs ant - I also think that maven will be better but I don't want
to spend time on rewriting something that already works.

What I miss in JOSM is FindBugs - it can find lots of stupid errors
automatically (like possible NullPointer exceptions, calling equals on
object of different type, ...). It's already possible to run Find bugs
on JOSM (and I sometimes do it), but for it to be really useful, it's
also necessary to use annotations - it finds lots of false positives
so FindBugs version of @SupressWarning is needed and also FindBugs can
find much more errors if hints like @CheckForNull, @NonNull,
@OverrideMustInvoke are used.

So what do you think about introducing FindBugs annotations? They
doesn't have any effect on built jar, but they can clutter the code a
bit.

--
Jiri