[josm-dev] Validator

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Jul 11 16:48:35 BST 2012

Hi,

    there has been a sort-of-complaint about the Validator on talk-us.
Kevin Kenny wrote,

> The data checks in JOSM and Potlatch2 are fine in that they all
> indeed highlight potential problems. But the sum total of them
> is just overwhelming. Right now, it feels as if I need to rectify
> every problem in any object that I've downloaded, to silence
> all the complaints from the tools. They seem to lack even the
> idea of "forward motion" - this part of the map isn't perfect,
> but at least it's better than what was there before. Instead,
> the UI at default settings appears (to a novice) to insist on
> perfection.

I've been in the same situation - work on something, upload, and see
tons of errors for which I am not the least responsible and which I
cannot (or don't have the patience to) fix now.

As an experienced mapper, I just ignore them of course. But a newbie
might really find them intimidating, and choose to discard his edit in
fear of retribution.

Do you think it would be possible to run the validator after data has
been downloaded and record the list of problems, and then when someone
uploads, only check for *newly added* problems instead of everything?

Of course the validator would still, on request, be able to check
everything, but the automatic "hey, are you sure you want to upload
this" check could be reduced to those problems this mapper is really
responsible for, rather than listing everything that was wrong even
before this mapper touched it.

Bye
Frederik