[josm-dev] josm, changelogs and release processes

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 11:11:15 BST 2012

in-line :-

2012/3/30 Dirk Stöcker <openstreetmap at dstoecker.de>:
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2012, shirish शिरीष wrote:
>
>>> I cannot find your changes. Did somebody delete them (already)? What
>>> text did you put in?
>>

>> Just this line :-
>>
>> en: * JOSM does not have a [wiki:Releases Version numbers] really (it
>> is 1.5 for some years now).
>> ar:x
>> bg:x
>> cs:x
>> da:x
>> de:x
>> el:x
>> es:x
>> et:x
>> eu:x
>> fi:x
>> fr:x
>> hr:x
>> hu:x
>> is:x
>> it:x
>> ja:x
>> nl:x
>> pl:x
>> pt:x
>> ru:x
>> sk:x
>> sv:x
>> uk:x
>> zh_CN:x
>>
>> This was after The current stable snapshot is 5047 and 5133 is the
>> unstable development version.
>>
>> I had put x in front of other languages as I don't know the translations.
>

> I removed them before reading this thread, as the x-lines break translation
> and second it wastes a lot of space for no real value. For the users the
> revision numbers are the version information. The "1.5" is stated nearly
> nowhere in the software, so why should it be on the most prominent page? It
> is a side-note for these who care, but everybody else does not need to know.

The point is its hardish to find/figure out. The first time I came in
I didn't see any roadmap [0] . I have used trac and its nice but not
having any sort of roadmap is/was disconcerting, add to that there is
no indication anywhere else why the release numbers are the way they
are. Whether on MS Windows (Windows 7, Windows 8) or GNU/Linux (Debian
7, Wheezy or Ubuntu 12.04) it is easy to figure out why the notations
are . If I had not read that note I would have still not understand
why the release numbers are the way they are.

As far as the x's are concerned, I was just following the instructions as given

[quote]
{{{
#!comment
This is the base page for the JOSM startup.

Each line "en:" starts a new translatable line.
Each line with another language translates the previous English line.
Each line without specifics is taken as is.
Lines starting with "#" are ignored.
NOTE: There aren't always empty lines between the different sets. Be
careful not to mix translations or forget some!

The webpages are then created using [[MOTD(lang|sourcepage)]] i.e.
[[MOTD(en|StartupPageSource)]]

When changing English text please keep in mind that translations also
need to be adapted. If you are not able to do
so, then add an "x" in front of the language, so the translation is
still available, but disabled.

Please sort the entries by the language abbreviation!
}}}
[/quote]

It would have been a tad nicer IMHO to have access to that info. on
the startup page.

0 - something like http://trac.edgewall.org/roadmap

--
          Regards,