[josm-dev] Please do not change long established shortcuts

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Tue May 1 07:18:12 BST 2012

Dirk Stöcker writes:
 > On Mon, 30 Apr 2012, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
 >
 > > is also not planned I think). There's just one big annoyance
 > > introduced: the key for delete mode. This now is impossible to select
 > > with just one hand, so you have to get the other hand off the mouse
 > > which really disturbs workflow.
 >
 > The <D> key removal was actually requested, as too many people
 > accidentially deleted stuff.

Oh, good, then can we get rid of the "drag to move things" feature for
ways?  Most of what I would call "vandalism" turns out to be somebody
who dragged a whole way when they meant to move a single node. This
problem has become worse since the ability to move a node which is
part of a selected way was taken away.

I don't mean to whine, because JOSM really is *that* good, but do you
do ANY usability testing at all?  For example, having the motion
targets pop up and disappear on the right (e.g. you can't see "Add" in
the Properties box until you've moved the cursor into the properties
box) seems to break every usability principle that I know
of. Fortunately, you added the feature which takes that misfeature
away, so one hand giveth and the other taketh away.

I think you should take Delete mode away. It's just fine for people to
have to select the things they want to delete and then hit the
'delete' key.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog