[josm-dev] Missing keys/tags on JOSM

Paul Hartmann phaaurlt at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 8 19:10:08 GMT 2012

On 11/08/2012 05:03 AM, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:
> Hi!
>
> While validating some places I usually see JOSM saying that "presets
> do not contain property value" when I am sure that the values are
> valid.
>
> For example:
>
> key 'abandoned' not in presets
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:abandoned)
> key 'nat_ref' not in presets (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:ref)
> key 'playground' not in presets (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Playground)
> key 'reg_name' not in presets (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name)
> value 'assemblies_of_god' for key 'denomination'
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Denomination)
> value 'clinic' for key 'amenity'
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dclinic)
> value 'evergreen' for key 'wood' (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:wood)
> value 'gas' for key 'shop' (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dgas)
> value 'git' for key 'shop' (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Shop)
> value 'ice_cream' for key 'amenity'
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dice_cream)
> value 'love_hotel' for key 'amenity'
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dlove_hotel)
> value 'mtb' for key 'route' (it's there in
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:route)
> value 'raceway' for key 'highway'
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Draceway)
> value 'retirement_home' for key 'amenity'
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dretirement_home)
> value 'social_facility' for key 'amenity'
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dsocial_facility)
> values 'pasta' and 'mediterranean' for key 'cuisine'
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cuisine)
>
> Well, you can get an idea I think :-)
>
> Is there a better way to find these keys/tags/values that are being
> used and valid but that are not included in JOSM?

Good question, maybe we can use Taginfo stats...

> Is it known that some of these values are indeed missing?
> Are there plans to update JOSM with them?

There are no long-term plans that I'm aware of. Tagging and Mapstyle
related tasks sometimes get neglected, if no one from the team is
interested in this topic. So we rely on input from users like you. :)

It is quite easy to add "exceptions" for this validation test, they are
listed in this file:

http://josm.openstreetmap.de/browser/josm/trunk/data/ignoretags.cfg

You can add your entries and send us the extended version (or a patch if
you like).

(Note that tags that are used somewhere in the presets will be found
automatically and need not be added to the whitelist.)

Paul