[josm-dev] JOSM @ OLOH

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Sat Sep 22 23:06:11 BST 2012

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012, Frederik Ramm wrote:

>   it may amuse JOSM developers to read Jochen Topf's blog article,
>

> http://blog.jochentopf.com/2012-09-21-making-it-easier-to-add-data-to-openstreetmap.html
>
> which was written in response to the news that MapBox have received half a
> million dollars in funding and are planning to improve OSM's usability.

I always find it strange, when someone gets lots of money for "we can make
it much better" instead of "we improve what's already there", but it is
not my money spend there, so let them try it. Sad is, that I have seen
lots of these projectes, especially EU funded, in my work and never they
have been a success.

> Jochen remarks: "Ohloh estimates the cost for developing JOSM, the most
> powerful OSM editor we currently have, at about 10 million dollars. Suddenly
> the half million does look small :-)"
>
> The numbers are of course to be taken with a grain of salt, and available for
> your inspection here: https://www.ohloh.net/p/josm/estimated_cost

10 million sounds a big high to me, but several millions is surely a
realistic estimate.