[josm-dev] The Golden Rules

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Mon Aug 26 04:30:39 UTC 2013

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 3:00 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
> wrote:

> 2013/8/24 Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com>
>
>> We're encouraged by project consensus to map areas based on Bing
>> maps alone, for example.
>>

> are we? Can you point me to a place in the wiki where this is the case? I
> always thought of aerial imagery as an additional source for mapping, not
> necessarily the only one, (I admit I also have mapped sometimes based on
> aerial imagery alone, but I didn't feel like I was doing a perfect mapping
> in these cases).

For sure in HOT land, where alerts asking for pure photo mapping come in
rather regularly.
http://maproulette.org/ is entirely photo mapping (using humans to count
highway lanes in air photos).
And in general, tiger tweaking, often promoted, is largely done as photo
mapping.

The wiki, of course, is only one version of consensus.

There's a judgement call here: when do you have enough knowledge to map? On
occasion after visiting an area, I'll feel I don't have enough, and punt on
something I even have a geotagged photo of.