[josm-dev] Cardinal Directions Changes

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 08:15:20 UTC 2013

forward/backward are not exactly deprecated. They are very useful for
walking/cycling routes.

For PT, you have a sequence of stops the bus serves. To do this, there is 1
sequence of ways the vehicle travels on from start to terminus. When using
forward/backward in this case, they get in the way.

The way back has a sequence of stops on the other side of the road, so most
of them will be different objects in OSM. forward_stop and backward_stop
were used in the past, but it gets really messy to try and do maintenance
on such route relations as there is no overview. It's one of the things I
like about the new PT scheme. (on condition all the ways go first, then all
the stops in the order they are served, if a stop gets served twice it is
in the relation two times).

Jo