[josm-dev] JOSM Remote Control API and external tools

the Old Topo Depot oldtopos at novacell.com
Fri Feb 15 16:21:45 GMT 2013

At present, tools such as MapRoulette (maproulette.org) rely on users to
add a string to changeset comment to assist tracking editing activities
associated with said tool.

It would be useful and convenient to allow external tools to specify a
changeset string fragment (suffix, for example) as part of the remote
control command sent to JOSM when the editing activity is triggered.  I am
soliciting feedback from the JOSM dev community on this matter, and will
implement agreed upon changes when we arrive at a consensus.

While I am aware that JOSM caches changeset strings, it is also possible
for a use to employ several tools during an extended editing session, say
MapRoulette and OSMI, and users are currently burdened with properly
selecting a comment.

Best and Thanks in Advance for your comments,

--
John Novak
585-OLD-TOPOS (585-653-8676)