[josm-dev] MapBox Satellite default?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Jan 13 22:57:52 GMT 2013

Hi,

On 13.01.2013 23:00, Dirk Stöcker wrote:
> The Landsat default is more historic than really useful nowadays. It was
> useful to get coastlines in far north and south.

I suggest we drop Landsat from the defaults, since MapQuest OpenAerial
which we already have as a default performs better in all regions of the
world. Then we have room to add the MapBox imagery which gives us three
imagery styles again, something I would consider a healthy selection.

Normally an imagery layer that only has Hi-Res imagery for the US would
not qualify for the default list but since they say they're planning to
add world-wide coverage I think we should welcome their offer; currently
there are regions where we exclusively rely on Bing for high resolution
coverage and I would very much like to see a future where OSM did not
depend on one supplier alone.

Bye
Frederik