[josm-dev] Thank You Note?

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sat Jun 15 02:05:24 UTC 2013

Maarten Deen writes:
 > On 2013-06-14 12:53, Frederik Ramm wrote:
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > >    at the FOSSGIS conference, someone said in a presentation that the
 > > user experience in OSM could be improved if the editor were to give a
 > > simple "thank you" message after you have uploaded something. "Thank
 > > yo for contributing to OpenStreetMap" or so.
 >
 > Not if it requires an extra action to click the message away.

All of those merely advisory messages should be 1) transparent, 2) not
focus-intercepting, and 3) go away a few seconds after your next
click.

The reason it shouldn't go away after a period of time is in case you
stepped out to get a coffee. The reason it shouldn't go away after a
first click is because you might be clicking "ahead" of the message,
and it would disappear without you getting a chance to see it. Maybe
even before it finished getting rendered. That would be bad. Instead,
it should wait for a click, and then wait a few seconds more. This is
harmless since it doesn't interfere with editing.

A prime example is "No data found in this area". It's not an
error. It's not even a warning. It just tells you that "Yeah, I got a
valid response from the OSM server which had nothing in it."

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog