[josm-dev] Thank You Note?

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Sat Jun 15 11:20:19 UTC 2013

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013, Frederik Ramm wrote:

>> >  "thank you" message after you have uploaded something. "Thank yo for
>> >  contributing to OpenStreetMap" or so.
>>
>>  I think it far more powerful if nothing special happens....
>>  ...but a day or two later someone drops by, reviews the edit, and sends a
>>  note of encouragement.
>>
>>  (but why is this on the JOSM list... JOSM is not an entry level editor?)
>
> It is on the JOSM list because I wanted to hear JOSM developers' opinions
> about this.
>
> And whether or not JOSM is an entry level editor (it is certainly used often
> for introducing new people to OSM, see e.g. learnosm.org) should not have an
> effect on it attempting to provide a satisfying user experience.
>
> Sure, even nicer to get encouraging emails from others in the project but how
> likely is that?

Actually I would find such (valueless) messages disturbing. If we add it,
it should be auto-disabled after e.g. 20 uploads and also be an
auto-disapearing splash-overlay (like the filter display).

OTOH probably we should build statistics and display these (e.g. in start
splash screen or such an after-upload splash):
- hours worked
- nodes/ways/relations changed,added,removed
- All stats at whole, last day, last week, last month

That can encourage (or discourage when people see how much time they
really spend for OSM).

Combined with statistics such a note may be even interesting for long-time
users of JOSM. A simple thanks is more a visual polution.

Thought if we add stats, users will kill us when we suggest to reset
preferences, as they will loose all their stats at the same time :-)