[josm-dev] Tabular edit of name tags

Hans Schmidt z0idberg at gmx.de
Wed Jun 26 12:49:35 UTC 2013

Am 26.06.2013 14:31, schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer:
> wow, you have an English name for every single street?
>
> As for the practical part, you could create either a customized Josm preset (preferably IMHO as you wont overwrite existing tags this way) or a node, tag it with placeholders like name:ja=x etc. (don't tag name as you would otherwise overwrite existing tags), copy it and paste tags on the existing objects, then modify the X into what you want.

Not in Japan (there you don't even have Japanese street names; this was
just an example), but in other countries you usually have a English name
for every street, yes. This is usually the case if they don’t use the
latin alphabet.

For example, in Taiwan you could write:

name: 羅斯福路 (Roosevelt Road)
name:zh-Hant=羅斯福路
name:zh-py=Luó​sī​fú​ Lù
name:en=Roosevelt Road

This can be done for every single street. I am not even talking about
Arabic, Hebraic or Hindi transcriptions. They would like to have the map
readable as well, don’t they?
This is also e.g. necessary in Germany, if you want to have the maps in
Cyrillic: You would have to transcribe every street, every town, every
school into Cyrillic.

I am really open to suggestion how this should practically be done in a
other way than my suggestion. Your suggestion is also not really
convenient, because: You have to click on every item on the map. Also,
JOSM has the bug that if you click on a property, the cursor will
randomly either jump to the key or the property value.

Well, I will create a ticket on the bugtracker, but without any hopes ;)