[josm-dev] Maps (was: JOSM Server)

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Fri May 31 08:10:36 UTC 2013

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013, Ian Dees wrote:

> Would you consider requesting the imagery.xml from a separate server? I've
> slowly been working on a project to store the imagery presets across all
> editors [0] so that someone who wanted to add their imagery layer could do
> it in one spot and have it show up in all editors that use the same source
> files.
>
> For now, that project contains a script that spits out tons of JSON
> documents. The goal is to store those JSON documents in GitHub and write
> scripts that write out files in formats specific to the various editors.
> These files could then be grabbed by the editors themselves.
>
> I'm considering doing the same sort of thing for presets, but obviously
> that would require more coordination.
>
> [0] https://github.com/iandees/editor-imagery-index

It seemed you dropped your project completely? I don't believe a joined
maps source place will work, but unification is nevertheless a good idea.

In my eyes it still would be fine to have a cross-check between the
editors (i.e. JOSM, Potlatch, ...) and other sources, so that we don't
need to compare each entry by hand, when they changed. If I'm right
Potlatch has some sources we don't have.

Problem is always that a change needs to be validated (Potlatch had many
dead entries when I check last time) - I once thought about creating a
OpenLayers demo page link directly from the Maps entries, so validation
can be done directly in the web-browser.

Ciao