[josm-dev] Wanted: Plugin Translation With Launchpad HowTo

Holger Mappt holgerosm at gmx.net
Fri Nov 22 20:45:42 UTC 2013

On 22 Nov 2013 17:24, Simon Legner wrote:
> Which plugin are you referring to?

The plugin implements ticket #7712 [1].  It's not yet released.

[1] http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/7712

> See
> https://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/subversion/applications/editors/josm/i18n/build.xml#L81
> how the language files are generated for the plugins in the SVN repository.
> You'd have to make sure that the strings of your plugin get translated.

I guess I can just commit the plugin and wait until someone triggers the
translation process.  But I would like to bundle the plugin myself
without the need to download all 8404 strings in all languages
(150MByte).  Is that possible?  I figured out most of the steps, just
the upload/download of my 10 strings is not clear to me.  I don't think
that I will get it right to upload all JOSM strings to Launchpad.  There
is too much magic involved.

BTW, how frequently is the string extraction/upload/download/*.lang
generation usually done?

I don't see an SVN commit in i18n/build.xml.  Is that done manually?
Always or on request only?

>> That means the plugin would need to be release under one of the two
>> licenses
>
> See
> http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/DevelopersGuide/DevelopingPlugins#LegalstuffImisopinion

My question was related to the translated strings.  They have a license
that affects the license of the plugin.  Launchpad makes them available
under the same license as the original "project" the sources were
extracted from.  What counts as project in this context, JOSM (GPL v2+)
or the plugin (more or less any license)?

Thanks,
Holger