[josm-dev] Relation editor support for north/south and east/west similar to forward/backward

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Tue Nov 26 19:30:25 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I'm new to this list so please bear with me.
The relation editor currently only parses 'forward' and 'backward'
roles when considering the visual representation in the rightmost
column. In the United States, north/south and east/west are very
common as member roles for road routes, because that is how they are
officially signposted.

There was some discussion in the original relation editor enhancement
ticket: https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/5109#comment:42 where
Petr_Dlouhy dismisses support for these member roles.

I want to reopen that discussion and see if there is support for
treating north/south and east/west as first class citizens similar to
forward/backward in the relation editor (and perhaps in other parts,
perhaps the validator and way direction reversing code?).

I am crossposting to talk-us because this discussion is going on there
at the moment.

I would be more than happy to put in some of the work required to
implement this support.

Thanks,
Martijn
--