[josm-dev] Relation editor support for north/south and east/west similar to forward/backward

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Wed Nov 27 11:20:54 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-27 11:58, Minh Nguyen wrote:
> On 23:12 2013-11-26, Florian Lohoff wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 03:46:47PM -0700, Martijn van Exel wrote:
>>> So the relation between the east--west and north--south member roles
>>> is equivalent to the relation between forward--backward.
>>>
>>> Because the cardinal direction is commonly included on the road signs
>>> (see example
>>> http://www.aaroads.com/west/new_mexico010/bl-010_eb_at_i-010.jpg)
>>> this information is useful in the U.S. (and Canadian) context as a
>>> drop in replacement for the traditional forward / backward role
>>> members.
>>
>> I still dont get it - Which relation would need this as a role?
>>
>> If this is a signposted destination i would expect it in the
>> destination or destination:lane tag on the road as west e.g.
>>
>> destination:lanes=West;Los Angeles|East;Boston
>>
>> For example Mapfactor Navigator will use this to show destinations.
>>
>> backward/forward as role are in relation to the ways direction. A tag
>> can either have a meaning in forward or backward or both directions
>> on a way. There is no way a tag has a meaning in 56° left of the way.
>
> What should destination:lanes be for either exit in this photo?
>
> http://www.interstate-guide.com/images074/i-074_et_09.jpg
>
> The sign for exit 3 could be read "Hopple Street", "eastbound Route
> 52", "southbound Route 27", or "southbound Route 127". The cardinal
> directions here are not destinations but rather part of the name of
> the "side" of the route.
>
> Exit 4 leads to a carriageway that is simultaneously westbound I-74,
> westbound US 52, and northbound US 27. Some of us would like to relate
> it to an I-74 relation with the role "west" and so on.

Where would you want to put this in? In the relation for the I-74? This
exit should not be part of the relation for the I-74.
As Florian said: this needs to be put in destination tags on the way. At
this point there are problaby two ways, one for the through road (which
I believe is I-75?) and one for the exit.
The through road has
destination:lanes=South;Downtown;I-75|South;East;Hopple St;27;127;52 and
the exit has destination:lanes=West;North;Indianapolis;I-74;52;27

I agree with Florian. I do not see the need for north/south/west/east
roles in a relation for this.

Regards,
Maarten