[josm-dev] license of data produced by JOSM

Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi
Thu Nov 20 12:16:25 UTC 2014

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 12:51:55PM +0100, Tobias Wendorff wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>JOSM is one of the best mapping tools with topological support.
>In comparism to widely spread CAD software, like Microstation,
>it's reduced to the needs of a mapper. Missing features, like
>mapping bank/slops can easily be added by external python scripts.
>
>My clients often ask whether JOSM can be used for non-OSM data or
>mapped data strictly has to be release under ODbL (or similar).

JOSM is licensed under the GNU GPL, which guarantees the four freedoms
listed at
https://gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

The first one seems to apply here:

"The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom
0)."

Only if you import some data sources into JOSM and create a derivative
work based on that, then the copyright licenses of those data sources
could apply.

>If there are such terms and conditions, would it be possible to
>use OSM for commercial mapping when donating to the OSM foundation
>or JOSM developers? I know many people, who would pay a fee for
>using JOSM, since it's exactly what they need to simplify daily
>work and raise productivity.

Of course, it is always a good idea to support the project, even if you
are not legally required to do so.

	Marko (not an active JOSM developer)