[josm-dev] SunCertPathBuilderException

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Tue Dec 15 22:30:09 UTC 2015

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015, Stephan Knauss wrote:

> Dirk Stöcker writes:
>
>> Cert chain is/was complete. It seems Java still does not include StartSSL,
>> but Unix versions and browsers use the system certstore. So standalone
>> non-Unixes fail. All others work.
>
> probably you wanted to say WOsign here, but yes, neither that, nor Startcom
> nor IdenTrust (for Let's Encrypt) is included in the Java store.

No. Really StartSSL. Wosign main cert is signed by StartSSL and I always
supply the whole chain from Intermediate, Wosign main to StartSSL
(although e.g. Firefox has all of these 3 already included).

> Just to have it as a reference in the mailing list archives: In the support
> forum Let's Entrypt said they had applied to be included in Oracles cacert
> list. So hopefully for the next renewal we'll have a better alternative.

As far as I know StartSSL also tried and had no success till now and
probably gave up.

> This is the command to dump the contents of the certificate store to see
> whether a specific CA is included.

Well I use Linux and here it worked.

The last time I used Windows was when I wanted to update my Windows 8 to
10. Took 2 days and the result is a broken OS (at least it booted once)
and I will now expand my Linux partition and drop Windows completely.
Still have an older Vista in a VM for seldom use. :-)