[josm-dev] icons for MapCSS for RoadSigns

Paul Hartmann phaaurlt at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 22:26:15 UTC 2015

On 17.02.2015 17:20, Jo wrote:
> All png files together are 500k. Is it not a problem to include them twice?
> This is only for 1 country, what if the datasets become complete for
> several hundred countries?

In my opinion it is better to have it foolproof. 500kB it not too much
and I would worry about the hundreds of countries when we get there.

The RoadSigns plugin grows at a rate of about one new country preset per
year. I have the feeling that the global bandwidth increases faster. :)

> At Mapillary, they are developing a font which allows to assemble road
> signs. https://github.com/mapillary/traffico/blob/master/fontcustom.yml
>
> They call it a webfont, maybe it can't be used on the desktop?

I don't think you can use this as is. It seems to be a collection of svg
icons that can be stacked with HTML and CSS.

The Finnish community has managed what you are trying to do [1]. Their
style is probably partially generated by a script. If you end up with
some code, please create a project as part of the JOSM organization on
github (https://github.com/josm).

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Finland:Traffic_signs

Paul