[josm-dev] Similarly named ways

Nelson A. de Oliveira naoliv at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 10:42:01 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 5:11 AM, Jo <winfixit at gmail.com> wrote:
> Lease don't get me wrong. The validator allowed me to fix an actual problem
> in the data. Once it's solved though it would be nice to have a way to
> indicate it's reporting a false positive. This would only be needed on nodes
> which connect 2 similarly named ways. There aren't 1000s of those. So it's
> hardly polluting the data, but it would save human editors time. And that is
> more important ultimately, than a few bytes of data to help QC.

A validation rule is basically a test to classify something.
Unless somebody creates something very magical (and gets rich with
it), there will always be false positives (an object that is
triggering an invalid warning) and false negatives (an incorrect
object that isn't being catch by the validation).

It's a trade-off between catching valid errors and false/unwanted warnings.

Instead discussing ways to workaround this (and adding complexity to
the data), it's more advantageous to discuss better rules, tests or
algorithms.