[josm-dev] JCS as optional dependency

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Wed Jun 17 13:30:02 UTC 2015

On Wed, 17 Jun 2015, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:

> I wish it was that simple. While the Debian Policy does not explicitly
> require splitting out embedded dependencies, it's a very common packaging
> best practice.

A recommendation is still no requirement.

> Debian does recommend upstream developers to not include 3rd party code, see:

While there are common practices to make software packaging friendly, it
is strange when a distribution tries the explain developers how they
should develop their software. Especially as Debian does not follow common
guidelines itself.

>> So Debian packages do a lot of actually unnecessary work and need constant
>> adaption to changing source code. But that's the choice of package
>> maintainers and no requirement.
>
> This attitude makes me want to remove the josm package from Debian again.
>
> Last time this caused a number of users of the josm package in Debian to
> object, instead of pushing for the removal of the package I started to
> co-maintain the package. That went surprisingly well until recently,
> mostly thanks to Vincent who's been a superb upstream to work with.

Because Vincent is a nice guy and tries to make everybody happy. And
probably also because he does not know the whole history.

But if I look at the history, then from all the possible Linux
distributions out there packaging JOSM only Debian is coming permanently
to request that we change it here and there and do that and this. And
because of self-applied restriction which aren't even required.

And together with that requests from our side have simply been ignored
many times. E.g. the debian build is still not marked in a way, that we
could see them in our stats. Recomendation still is to add "DEBIAN" or
"D" in the version string like "SVN" for the self-builds.