[josm-dev] JCS as optional dependency

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 18 12:58:49 UTC 2015

> On Wed, 17 Jun 2015, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>
>> Do you understand the point of view of a distribution like Debian?
>>
>> It's clear that you don't share Debians concerns for software freedom
>> and
>> focus on quality. And you're not alone in that, that's why it's always
>> Debian people that bring up those issues, the rest of the Open Source
>> community doesn't care enough.
>
> We did major efforts to clear the license situation of JOSM some time ago
> and also did other requested changes. But what you request has NOTHING to
> do with the Debian ideals. You can simply request code changes and when
> your get told that this is nonsense answer with "well, but you don't care
> for Debian ideals".

The license changes were and are still much appreciated, by myself and the
wider Free Software community. But that's not the topic of discussion,
that's the new JCS requirement.

>> Do you care enough about this issue to file a bug report so that it
>> doesn't get lost again (e.g. when I give up on josm packaging out of
>> sheer
>> frustration)?
>>
>> Refer to the documentation how to file a bug using the reportbug utilty
>> or
>> plain email:
>
> You already know it, so why file a report and then I remember that I tried
> once and then gave up, so I don't try that again.

Because you cannot be bothered I did you a favor and filed the bug report:

https://bugs.debian.org/789161

We already patch the build.xml to append the following to the REVISION file:

 Debian-Release: ${debian.version}

We also patch Version.java & AboutAction.java to use this value in the
About box.

Based on the comments in build.xml we should also add the following to
have the value used for the stats identification:

 Build-Name: Debian

I've updated the patch to implement the above, and it will be included in
the next upload to unstable. It will then finds its way into the next
Debian and Ubuntu releases.

Kind Regards,

Bas