[josm-dev] Common presets for OSM editors?

Paul Hartmann phaaurlt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 11:59:27 UTC 2015

On 23.06.2015 09:03, Dirk Stöcker wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jun 2015, Ian Dees wrote:
>
>> I created a repo to keep track of this here:
>> https://github.com/osmlab/editor-presets
>>
>> I understand Dirk and the JOSM team's position, so let's stop clogging up
>> their inboxes and take further discussion to tickets on this repo?
>>
>> To get started, I like your suggestion, Daniel; let's start with the
>> core,
>> make it transformable to the existing editor preset styles, and then
>> expand
>> where needed. I'm indexing the existing formats here:
>> https://github.com/osmlab/editor-presets/issues/1
>
> Which will actually lead to what? Another place where the information is
> duplicated. Seems you again ignore the "dropping what we have in favor
> of something else is extremely unlikely". And now again you suggest
> exactly that again.

The situation with changing the platform is different compared to the
editor imagery index: While we have an open wiki system to let as many
users as possible contribute to the imagery database, the core presets
have always been maintained in the source code repository. You need
commit rights as a developer to change the core presets.

Starting small, you could write one or two presets in a unified
language, add scripts to translate to the iD/Potlatch2/JOSM formats.
Then convince the iD people to adopt the common index. :)

We already have a mechanism to include previously defined "chunks" by
reference in the defaultpresets.xml file. This could be used to include
presets from the editor-presets.xml file at the correct place (or not).
Preferably, when we make the includes, the result should be unchanged or
an improvement.

Given all that, I see no major reason to block this initiative. We would
not drop what we have, but slowly migrating to something else.

Paul