[josm-dev] Checking tags

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Mon Mar 16 16:13:51 UTC 2015

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015, Jochen Topf wrote:

> On Mo, Mär 16, 2015 at 03:56:53 +0100, Dirk Stöcker wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Mar 2015, Jochen Topf wrote:
>>
>>> I am not sure myself how best to solve this. More warnings that people have
>>> to click through are not ideal either. Maybe little "warning" icons next to
>>> tags alerting the user that this is an unknown tag? Of course we need a list
>>> of known tags then...
>>
>> We already have this. It's degraded to INFO level, as it is disturbing.
>
> How are these warnings shown? Are they only shown in the validator? I almost
> never use the validator any more because a) it is another step to run this
> after I do the actual work and I tend to forget and b) it shows too many
> problems overwhelming me. I think any warnings should be shown "in-line"
> when editing in some way to warn immediately, otherwise they will probably
> be overlooked. Maybe that happens and I just have never seen it?

For upload they are disabled by default. Can be enabled in validator
settings (3rd/4th checkbox).

A hint: You can simulate the upload validator when searching "modified"
and then clicking the validator button. Reduces the amount of displayed
stuff to anything related to your changes :-)

> There are just too many ways to mistype something.

There are too many legitimate uses. And integrating the whole taginfo
stats in JOSM is a bit much I think.

The taginfo approach for quality control is a good thing, better than
restrictive editors.

But the idea of color coded key/value list sounds nevertheless good.