[josm-dev] Checking tags

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Mon Mar 16 18:22:50 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 06:36:09PM +0100, Paul Hartmann wrote:
> On 16.03.2015 18:02, Jochen Topf wrote:
> >On Mo, Mär 16, 2015 at 05:13:51 +0100, Dirk Stöcker wrote:
> >>There are too many legitimate uses. And integrating the whole taginfo stats
> >>in JOSM is a bit much I think.
> >
> >We don't need all stats. Lets say to start we just make a list of keys that are
> >okay, say all keys that are used at least 1000 times. Thats currently about
> >3500 keys. A list with all those keys is probably less than 35kBytes and should
> >compress well. We only have to download this every so often, it doesn't change
> >that much.
>
> I could imagine something like syntax-highlighting in the tag-pane. I.e. if
> the key (or key=value combination) is recognized, the text becomes bold, or
> gets a different color.

That sounds very good to me.

> But if this is done, the whitelist should be as complete as possible and
> include all tags that are documented on the wiki. Do we have this data
> available?

Yes, taginfo has that data. I'll try to create a whitelist using information
like the usage count, how many people have used a tag, whether it is documented
in the wiki etc. This is, of course, not perfect, but I think we can get a list
that's much better than no list at all. I don't think a completely manual
approach is going to work (unless we have a group of volunteers :-)

Let me give this a try and we can then look at the created list and see how we
like it.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  jochen at remote.org  http://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-173-7019282