[josm-dev] Checking tags

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Mon Mar 23 10:52:04 UTC 2015

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015, Jochen Topf wrote:

> If we have a stricter list whats "green" we have two problems: a) Users might
> just ignore it and b) JOSM will even more than it does now, decide whats good
> and whats bad. And we (as developers) have to be very careful with that
> responsibility and probably bring this discussion into the wider community.

OTOH what I don't want is to mark something as good, which actually is
not. We had another request regarding brands and names with a list
compiled from database. But here as well quality of that list did
not justify marking it special.

To keep users from "making all green" I said "light color".

"light green" means "we know that tag and it's accepted".
"grey" like now means any other tags
"light red" means we assume tag is bad.

If you fear the green causes users to go berserk, than we can only add the
red variant showing bad keys. But actually I trust our users :-)