[josm-dev] Checking tags

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Fri Mar 27 10:46:23 UTC 2015

On Fr, Mär 27, 2015 at 10:48:58 +0100, Paul Hartmann wrote:
> On 27.03.2015 09:07, Jochen Topf wrote:
> >>
> >>I would not require "accepted" but settle with "documented".
> >>
> >>It should recognize complicated tags like
> >>healthcare:speciality=ophthalmology and parking:lane:both:parallel=on_street
> >>both in key and value, otherwise it would be pointless as a spellchecker. I
> >>guess a lot of wiki pages need to be adapted, so this information can be
> >>extracted. But there would be a value in that beyond the JOSM use.
> >
> >If I learned one thing from years of working on taginfo is that there is no
> >correlation between "accepted", "documented", "often used" or anything like
> >that.
>
> From my point of view, we can leave it up to the user to decide if a tag is
> accepted enough or not. What I'd find useful though, is some kind of quick
> spellchecking. This means it is enough simply extract all tags from the
> wiki, maybe along with an exclusion list that is maintained by hand.

Unfortunately there a many many tags commonly used that are not in the wiki. So
that approach is not enough. Thats why I created the lists mentioned earlier in
this discussion that does a bit more than just taking tags from the wiki. But it
would do just what you want: create a simple spell-checking. I started out
calling that list the "green" list, but I see now it is better suited as the
"grey" list, because it is autogenerated and contains questionable tags, too,
as I have mentioned in a posting further up in the discussion.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  jochen at remote.org  http://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-173-7019282