[josm-dev] IPv6 problems

Simon Legner simon.legner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 12:09:30 UTC 2016

Hi!

On Fri, Jan 1, 2016 at 12:47 AM, Florian Lohoff <f at zz.de> wrote:
> There is no such thing as a on-the-fly detection. You as the application
> author need to write the detection. You need robust "connect" logic
> which tries ipv6 and falls back to ipv4 when the connect does not
> work. The latest RFCs gives even more advice on how to work around
> long delays induced by servers advertising ipv6 and not responding
> to it or intermitted ipv6 problems e.g. packet loss in the v6 path. This
> is the daily business for an ISP - You path are different for v4 than
> for v6 so you have different latencys, paths, packet loss probabilities
> etc.

> So please - either fix ipv6 in JOSM by implementing the BCPs or
> drop the ipv6 support completely - Currently you are breaking tons
> of user setups and you actively blame ipv6 for it.

I tried to find some reference implementations for the RFC6555 / Happy
Eyeballs in Java – without success. None of the popular HTTP client
libraries [1, 2, 3] seem to have any support for this algorithm.
Instead, they seem to attempt connections sequentially to the resolved
addresses [4, 5].

On GitHub I could only find two Java demo projects on the
java.net.Socket level [6, 7].

Best regards,
Simon

[1] https://github.com/apache/httpclient