[josm-dev] Auto center new node

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Mar 22 18:35:23 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 03/22/2016 08:34 AM, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> Hadnt hit it for like 8 years and it came up directly after the ugrade
> of josm to the latest version - I cant rule out i hit ctrl-f
> accidentally. I had never seen that mode in the past - does anyone
> actually use it?

I added that mode a long time ago to scratch a personal itch - at the
time I was tracing very long boundary fences in Turkmenistan and after a
while suffered from mild RSI from the constant mouse movements: click to
set node - move mouse - click - move - click - move and then when I
reached the edge of the screen, click - drag map over - and then repeat
for hours on end.

The new mode allowed me to keep the mouse pointer roughly somewhere
right of centre, and between clicks I would only need a minimal
adjustment to move the mouse pointer onto the fence line.

But maybe this use case is much rarer today, and/or other JOSM input
modes are meanwhile available to cater to that use case.

Bye
Frederik