Offline OSM vector file plugin to edit in the field - OBF vector format or other

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Sat Feb 25 21:05:41 UTC 2017

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017, Pierre Béland wrote:

> Smarthphones did provide us access to all of Haiti on OSMAnnd or
> Maps.Me. Our team was able to store tracks and waypoints on our phones.
> We did also use Mapillary and ODK tools. But at the end of the day, we
> could not edit the data in JOSM, bringing in these various infos to
> compare with the OSM map as a background. This, even if I tried
> previously to cache OSM tiles for the area, I did not have access to
> these tiles while in the field with no internet access. A cache could be
> a solution. A better solution is to Add an Offline OSM Vector map plugin
> to JOSM. This would be a great enhancement for OSM contributors that
> experience difficulty to access data online.

I don't understand what you request at all.

- JOSM has tile caches which usually are small, but you can increase size
- JOSM is an vector map editor - its main task is to display vector data
- JOSM can load stored offline data files in XML and also PBF format

Everything already there.

OBF support could be included in a plugin, but I don't see much sense to
support a storage format of a single application.