[Legal-general] Introduction

Eric Wolf ebwolf at usgs.gov
Tue Jul 20 00:14:17 BST 2010

Thus begins the fun conversation that helps decide whether US tax dollars
should go toward maintaining a basemap through duplicated effort or not. It
can happen either way - either write your representatives in Washington
telling them that you support USGS data being published under a more
restrictive license (than PD) or you lobby the OSM Foundation to change OSM.
Right now, the USGS wants to participate more in OSM but can't because the
budget doesn't really support developing two base maps of the country (the
one on OSM and The National Map). So we are stuck building our silos and
interacting with OSM in a research capacity.

I guess a third possibility is to lobby Congress to increase the USGS budget
so we can do both. But that won't be viewed too kindly because OSM can
easily be seen as an arm CloudMade. It would be akin to the USGS helping
Google (or TeleAtlas or Navteq) directly develop their basemaps (instead of
just providing everyone with the same data access). There are pretty strict
rules about how much Federal agencies can help corporations develop
products. And even though it's crystal clear to me that Cloudmade and OSM
are distinct, I'm not the one who gets to make that call. Just the
appearance of impropriety is bad politics.

Personally, I'd rather see the USGS adopt a license that helps it get a
little love back from data users (other than tax dollars). It would also
mean we could direct our efforts at producing one really great map.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                    New! 720-334-7734
USGS Geographer
Center of Excellence in GIScience
PhD Student
CU-Boulder - Geography