[OSM-legal-talk] Copyright on layers

Etienne 80n80n at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 08:24:00 BST 2006

On 7/10/06, David Groom <reviews at pacific-rim.net> wrote:

> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Emil Vaughan" <emil79 at gmail.com>
> To: <legal-talk at openstreetmap.org>
> Sent: Saturday, July 08, 2006 2:52 PM
> Subject: [OSM-legal-talk] Copyright on layers

 <snip>

Ultimately, I am reluctantly coming to the conclusion that either:

> 1) all OSM data should be released as public domain, and then we can all
> forget about licensing;
>
> or
>
> 2)  have a license similar to CC-BY-SA, but allow specific exclusions
> where
> the use of OSM data combined with "something else" does not lead to the
> "something else" having to released under CC-BY-SA. These specific
> exclusions would then either
>
> i) have to be decided by the OSM Foundation on a case by case basis,
> dependent upon who was using the data, what way it was being used, and
> what
> it was being combined with; and / or
>
> ii) examples of specific uses could be given by OSMF which would not
> require
> the "something else" having to released under CC-BY-SA.

There is a third way.  OSM could allow multiple different licenses.  Then
each contributor can choose which license to publish under and each data
consumer can select the appropriately licensed data for the use they have in
mind.

There are technical obstacles to achieving this - but we are all more
technically skilled than we are legally skilled.

At the simplest level we would need a PD layer and a CC-BY-SA layer.  The
main difficulty would be to provide some method of linkage between the two
layers and some rules about how to link (eg a PD segment cannot link to a CC
node, but a CC segment can link to a PD node, etc).

Etienne

Neither option is ideal.