[OSM-legal-talk] By-SA attribution to... who?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Mon Jun 19 19:23:30 BST 2006

On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 04:35:43PM -0400, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> Currently, as I understand it, there's no way to comply with the
> Creative Commons license that OSM uses by entities external to OSM:
>  * CC-BY copyright is licensed by the original user
>    * Which means that hte original user needs to be attributed
>  * User information is not available in the API/planet exports
>    * Therefore, there is no way to find out which user to attribute

Looking at the license again, I see:
  Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the
  author or licensor.

So, I guess we need to start asking for who they want attributed.
Personally, I want all my content attributed to "Monkeyman Enterprises".
How about you? :)

More seriously, this seems to mean that what we'd need to do is ask
contributors to agree to allow for the work they're contributing to be
attributed to the OpenStreetMap project, right?

--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer