[OSM-legal-talk] Re: [OSM-talk] IoW: New Popular Edition orthorectified

Thu May 4 20:45:41 BST 2006

[suggest follow-ups go only to legal-talk]

Quoting Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk>:

> Not been able to clarify the 1947 Johnson's Readyfold map - that may
> not actually be 'legal' but I've had no replies to any requests about
> it!

This is something that interests me.

Let's say we have a non-OS map, like the Johnson one, from 1947.
Clearly the map is still in copyright because it's (at best) 70 years
since the end of 1947, (at worst) 70 years since the death of the
author.

But many such maps were made using OS data, which is out of copyright
after just 50 years.

Is it legal to trace tracks from such a map? After all, even if the
map isn't out of copyright, the underlying data is.

Richard