[OSM-legal-talk] legal-talk Digest, Vol 8, Issue 2

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Wed Apr 4 15:53:47 BST 2007

Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote:

> Matt Lee wrote:
>> Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote:
>>
>>> Like codecs in what way? I.e. what about codecs means it's OK not to
>>> "copyleft" them?
>> Oh, I think it's okay to copyleft them, but I think if things
>> like Ogg Vorbis are to achieve any level of saturation on the
>> marketplace, where they will be useful on things like iPods and
>> the like, then a license like the BSD (which is what they went
>> for) is more useful. I don't think Microsoft is going to fork it.

I (respectfully) don't agree with this. History teaches us that
Microsoft are quite happy embracing and extending other people's work.
Winsock has some differences from BSD Sockets, which can be fun for
porting, and if Java had been BSD then Microsoft could have made it
effectively Windows-only with no legal challenge from Sun.

Zune OGG would be *so* much better than just normal OGG. ;-)

> Do you think OSM will achieve a level of saturation on the marketplace,
> where it is useful on things like iPods, TomToms and the like if it is
> copylefted?

As long as the data copyleft doesn't affect the software or hardware
there's no reason why not. And BY-SA doesn't affect them.

- Rob.