[OSM-legal-talk] NSW GNB data

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Aug 1 09:34:45 BST 2007

Hi,

> But if I use my freedom to edit the data (as granted by CC-SA-BY?),
> to remove these tags, then I violate their requirement.

The tag will live forever in the history ;-)

> When I was editing coastlines earlier this year, I removed some
> "source" tags that OJW's script had put there, because Maplint
> reported them as unknown and this stopped me from finding actual
> errors in the data.  In that case, the source tags were not
> required by any copyright holder, because the source of the
> coastline data was in the public domain.  Something similar could
> happen, by accident or ignorance, to any "copyright" tags in the
> database.  Should the API put a lock on such tags?

I don't think so because if you make significant changes then the
source will *have* to be removed. I'd say that even if I just add a
segment to a way, then that way cannot be said to be "source=whatever
it was before" (that implies to me that you can go to that source and
verify the data - which you cannot, anymore, if I have changed it
significantly). By locking some tags you'd force people to delete the
whole thing and re-make it.

Bye
Frederik