[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] OT: Re: License

Fri Feb 2 13:25:02 GMT 2007

[moved to legal-talk]

Rob Myers wrote:

> Copyleft licenses rarely prevent people from doing anything. They
> just prevent
> people from preventing other people from doing anything, that is
> they prevent
> people from being hypocrites.

IMHO this is the difference between (say) GPL and LGPL.

GPL prevents people from combining "[only] freely distributable" work
with "[only] non-freely distributable work".

LGPL allows people to do this, while still preserving the freedom to
copy the freely distributable work.

This is why I like LGPL better. I don't see that it involves any
hypocrisy.

cheers
Richard