[OSM-legal-talk] Share-Data Licenses and OSM

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Feb 28 15:02:52 GMT 2007

Hi,

> That said, as OSM tools get better and translations in and out of
> other formats (e.g. shapefiles) become more common, it should becoming
> less and less of an issue.

I think this low-level conversion is rather easy compared to a high-
level conversion. Just imagine I'd take the planet file and change
all id numbers (keeping referential integrity of course), plus I'd
move every node by anyting between 0 and 10 centimetres in a random
direction. I return the file to you in perfectly clean OSM XML
format. The file is perfect for drawing maps, indeed it will result
in 100% identical maps compared to original OSM at any but the most
detailed zoom levels.

How can you ever hope to compare my file and yours, or even spot
subtle changes I made in order to re-integrate them into OSM?

Bye
Frederik